Buildings of Interest

Home > Buildings of Interest
  • Hindley Cemetery Chapel
  • Hindley Cemetery Chapel
  • Hindley Cemetery Chapel
  • Hindley Cemetery Chapel
Grade U

Hindley Cemetery Chapel

Castle Hill Road, Hindley

Listed Date: 00/00/0000
Part of Group:
At Risk: No

Description

Started in 1879 and finished construction on 21st June 1880 in the classical style. The Church of England portion was consecrated by the Vicar of Kirkby, on the 30th December, 1879. Designed by George Heaton, who was the Surveyor of the Board. This was controversial at the time as the decision as to which design was selected by was the Board themselves which angered the Bolton architect R Knill Freeman who wrote a letter on the matter. The church is currently undergoing some renovations and is well-kept. The graveyard extension was secured by the notable Colonel ffaringtinEckersley, who served with Duke Wellington.

Text and images by Chris Gilmore.

See Also

Unlisted
Atherton Road

Atherton Road

417
HE Ref: n/a
Unlisted
Atherton Road

Atherton Road

61
HE Ref: n/a