Hindley Cemetery Lodge & Gates
Castle Hill Road, Hindley
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
Started in 1879 and finished construction on 21st June 1880 in the classical style. The Church of England portion was consecrated by the Vicar of Kirkby, on the 30th December, 1879. Designed by George Heaton, who was the Surveyor of the Board. This was controversial at the time as the decision as to which design was selected by was the Board themselves which angered the Bolton architect R Knill Freeman who wrote a letter on the matter.
The church is currently undergoing some renovations and is well-kept.
The graveyard extension was secured by the notable Colonel ffaringtinEckersley, who served with Duke Wellington.
Text and images by Chris Gilmour