Elliott Street (north side), Tyldesley
Part of Group: No
At Risk: No
Historic England Ref: 17 (Link)
Drinking fountain. c.1892.
The drinking fountain on Elliott Street is Grade II listed. It dates from 1892 and was donated by Tyldesley historian John Buckley (1812-1892).
In his will Buckley demonstrated his deep affection for the town by leaving £200 for the construction of "a water drinking fountain for Man, Beasts and Dogs". The fountain was also to serve as a "public lamp pillar" and so was topped with a gas light when in its original Elliott Street position. It was later moved to Tyldesley Park then reinstated in the town centre. It was taken away a few years ago for a clean up and restored to almost it's original position in front of Top Chapel. His gravestone in Tyldesley cemetery has recently been straightened as it was in danger of toppling over.
Source: Susan Szkilnyk