Old Town Hall
King Street, Wigan
Part of Group: No
At Risk: No
In 1868 the Borough Courts and Offices were built in the Italianate style from the designs by Nuttal & Crook.
The building also housed the Council Chamber, but the room was not designed for a legislative assembly.
Originally the purpose of the building was to provide accommodation for the Quarter Sessions and was fitted out with a jury box and other pieces in which the Court, presided over by the Recorder, could conduct business. This differed from the Magistrates Justice Room.
On the removal from the Moot Hall, which stood at the junction of Wallgate and Market Place, the County Justices had to be provided with a Court and they continued as tenants of the Corporation until the relocation to new premises in Crawford Street.
The move to Crawford Street offered the opportunity to create a new and improved Council Chamber,
The design and opening in 1890 are well documented in the document below.
Opening of the Wigan Council Chamber in1890 - Link
Also included in the development a new home for the Police was found. A report by H.M. Inspector of Constabulary in the late 1850's had condemned to the Bridewell building in Millgate.
In the 1871 Census, the remaining part of the building was split into 3 addresses, 44.46 & 48 King St.
44, as occupied by Benjamin Bentley, Hall Keeper, along with 13 prisoners.
46, was the Chief Constable, William Simm, and his wife, sister, and one son.
48, Caleb Burton, Police Inspector, and his wife and two sons.
44a - Hall Keeper Police Station - Eli Storey, with wife and son
44 - Police Station with 6 prisoners/remand
46 - Chief Constable - Thomas Kennion, with wife, 1 daughter and I son, 1 Nurse and 1 Cook.
48 - Police Inspector - John Bond, with wife, 1son, and 1 daughter.
? - County Court Bailiff, William Mayes, with wife, 1 son, and 1 daughter.
Also included was the Fire Station.
Link to BFI video of Fire brigade training session in the early 1900's - Link
The building was demolished in 2015 and the site leveled off and was used for a car park.
During demolition, the Council and Wigan Building Preservation Trust recovered and saved the Common Seal stonework. for more detail on the Common Seal Link - View
Part of the King Street "Lost Buildings" project - Link