Church of St James with St Thomas
Hardman Street Poolstock, Wigan
Part of Group: No
At Risk: No
Historic England Ref: 246 (Link)
Church. 1863-6 (dated 1866 on tower). By EG Paley. Founded by James and Nathaniel Eckersley (of Eckersleys Mills, Swan Meadow Road)
The church was consecrated on the 15th September 1866 by the Lord Bishop of Chester. The church was erected by Mr. Nathaniel Eckersley, MP, to the memory of his father, mother, and brother at an expense of £15,000.
In compliance with his wishes, the architect EG Paley adopted a Perpendicular style of architecture, with French details, in the building; comprising a nave 78ft x 24ft and 48ft high, a chancel 40ft x 24ft, with aisles and chancel aisles and a tower 169 ft high; and accommodation for 700 persons. The interior exhibits a good deal of carving and ornament.
Wigan Observer, 8th November, 1867.
On view in the shop of Mr. Johnson, watchmaker, Wallgate, a handsome clock intended to be placed in the interior of the new Church of St. James. It is gothic in character and the design has been furnished by Mr. Paley, the architect of the Church.