Westwood Lane, Ince
Part of Group:
At Risk: Yes
Historic England Ref: 920 (Link)
House, C17 and late C18/early C19. Well preserved example of a C17 hall dwelling adapted and extended to meet C18 tastes.
A will referring to Westwood Hall is dated 1785, and cartographic evidence shows a building on the site by 1786. The 1841 tithe map appears to show an L shaped building, and later OS maps show an unaltered footprint. The property was owned by the Kay family from at least the late C18. James Kay opened a drift coal mine in 1841 to the east of the house, which operated until 1856. A group of workers cottages, now demolished, known as Kay's cottages or Westwood Cottages stood to the north of the house in the early C20.
2019 - In a poor state of disrepair.
May 2022 - Serious fire at the Hall, creates a very uncertain future for the building.
Excellent article by Andy Lomax on the Hall - View