141 - 149 Wigan Lane, Wigan
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
Originally a row of five Victorian Houses built in 1871 which were bought up and converted into a hotel. The name Bellingham is derived from the area where there once was a Bellingham Lodge and cottages. The area was part of the Haigh Estate and the name originates from Lady Dorothy Bradshaigh (1705 to 1785) who was co-heir of William Bellingham of Cumbria.
The hotel is in the process of being aquired by the NHS (2021)
Sources:Wigan and Leigh Archives; B Blakeman, Wigan a Historical Souvenir, 1996