Powell Street, Wigan
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
The Drill Hall was used to train countless local men before they were shipped off to the First World War. After the Wars it was used by the Territorial Army. It was also used as an Assembly Point for St George's Walking Days and held many Exhibitions including Model Railways.
John Gostellow 2021 __________________________________________________________________________
Additional Information provided by Rita Fell - 2021
In May, 1881 it was proposed that a Volunteer Drill Hall be built. Fundraising started by
forming a Limited Company to raise capital, shares were issued at £1.00 each. Receipts
from letting the building for public meetings, concerts and exhibitions, anticipated that
shareholders would receive a substantial dividend on investments. Powell Street, Wigan was
selected as the site for the Drill Hall.
The foundation stone was laid by the Earl of Crawford & Balcarres on 21st June, 1884, with
the official opening taking place on 20th December, 1884 once again by the Earl.
The main hall measured 131 feet by 7 feet, unencumbered by support pillars, iron lattice
work was used to support the roof.
The architects Messrs Issett & Verity of Wigan and Bradford designed an elegant solution to compensate for the back of the building on Church Street being much lower than the level of Powell Street. Also Included were officers’ rooms, an armoury and stores. The building was designed to accommodate 5000 people standing and 3000 seated.
The builder was Councillor John Johnson, the ironwork was supplied by Messrs Handyside & Co. of Derby.
Demolished 1986 (Past Forward 36)
For further information on the history of Drill Halls please follow the link below.