Buildings of Interest

Home > Buildings of Interest
  • Church of Sacred Heart RC
  • Church of Sacred Heart RC
Grade U

Church of Sacred Heart RC

Walmsley Road WN7 1YE, Leigh

Listed Date: 00/00/0000
Part of Group:
At Risk: Yes


In 1902 William Fairclough, a solicitor, bought land for a school/chapel. The foundation stone was laid on 3 October 1903 by Archbishop Whiteside, and the building opened on 26 August 1904. The architect was D. Powell and the builders H. & F. Lomax. Fr J. Unsworth was the first priest; the upper floor church seated 600 with capacity in the ground floor school for 160 infants and 240 scholars. This building remains in use as the Sacred Heart School but is due to be demolished. The present large church was built on land to the south of the school; Bishop Dobson laid the foundation stone on 9 May 1928. The church was designed by Anthony Ellis and cost £20,000. (Source: Taking-Stock)