2-12 & 9-11, Winwick Lane, Lowton, WA3 1LS
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
“The occupants of these cottages when first built were probably engaged in muslin or, later, silk-weaving; activities for which Lowton was well-known in the latter half of the 19th century.
Now demolished, a Primitive Methodist chapel completed in 1842 stood to the south of the terrace comprising numbers 2-12 Winwick Lane. Before 1842 services were occasionally held in the cottages on the opposite (east) side of the Lane, at numbers 9-11.
Richard Ridyard mentions in his book “Memories of Lowton” (1935) that Winwick Lane was at one time known locally as Dolly's Lane after one of the cottage residents, Dorothy (“Dolly”) Ridgeway”.
Text and images by the Makerfield Rambler