St Marys Church
Newton Road, Lowton WA3 1EN, Lowton
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
“Anglican Church of 1861, renovated in 2011.
Richard Ridyard explains in his “Memories of Lowton” (1935) that “Previous to 1860, Lowton comprised one Parish, viz. St Luke's... The building of Knott's Mill in 1850 had brought into the neighbourhood a number of Anglican Families, and for their convenience services, as also a Sunday School, began to be held at what is now a public house, the Church Inn. Convinced of the growing necessity for a church and school, William J Leigh, sometime MP for South Lancashire, gave the site for the present St Mary's Church and School, and Miss Mary Leigh of Hale, near Liverpool, offered to be the patroness....””.