Buildings of Interest

Home > Buildings of Interest
  • McDonalds
  • McDonalds
  • McDonalds
  • McDonalds
  • McDonalds
Grade U


41-43, Standishgate, Wigan

Listed Date: 00/00/0000
Part of Group:
At Risk: No


The building replaced the original Roebuck Hotel which had a history dating back to 1710, in the reign of William & Mary. That year it changed hands for five shillings and the deeds gave the new owner an extraordinary privilege. The landlord had the right to sit in the second pew on the left-hand side of the Parish Church.

In 1860 the original building was demolished and the Victorians built a coaching house with stabling at the rear for 17 horses which was a favourite overnight stop, The stables would sometimes accommodate circus animals from nearby Crompton Street, the location of a travelling circus.

Redesigned in 1903 to the designs of George Heaton, the prolific Wigan architect possibly for Airey's Brewery.

The building was sold in 1932 to Mark Williams, a pork butcher of some repute in the town. The business continued at the premises until the early 1960's, when the building was sold.

It eventually became a franchise of McDonalds and continues to trade today.