Hall Lane, Haigh
Part of Group: Yes 2 Oth
At Risk: No
Historic England Ref: 99 (Link)
Almshouses, now 3 houses. Dated 1772.
Twelve almshouses for the poor erected by Dame Dorothy Bradshagh in 1772. In 1828 contained ten dwellings, each having a sitting-room and pantry below and a chamber above, with a little garden attached - for the benefit of the townships of Haigh, Wigan, Aspull, and Blackrod.
In 1899 preference still given to Haigh people who have worked in the mines; applicants must be over fifty, and adherents of the Established Church. (1)
Shown in 1796 on the Haigh Estate map as Receptacle but on the 1849 OS Map labelled as Alms House. The 1894 OS still has Almshouses (and Nursery) but on the 1908 map it's back to The Receptacle.
Building was derelict in the 1980s - now renovated and converted into 3 private houses.
Wigan Archaeology Society