162 Orrell Road, Orrell
Part of Group: No
At Risk: No
Historic England Ref: 121 (Link)
Now public house/hotel. Early C19.
Between 1821 & 1835 occupied by French Benedictine nuns, under Madame Louise de Levis Mirepoix, having been driven from their native country by the horrors of the French Revolution.
They landed in Brighton on 18th October 1792 and found asylum in this country at Heath, Yorkshire, and subsequently at Orrell Mount.
The nuns established a school in an adjacent property, The Nunnery, where young ladies were educated in languages and several other subjects.
They eventually moved from Orrell to Princethorpe, Warwickshire.