The Royal Court Theatre
50 King Street, Wigan
Part of Group: No
At Risk: No
Historic England Ref: 257 (Link)
The Royal Court Theatre, Wigan was built in 1886 and designed by the architect Richard T. Johnson, who was also responsible for the redesigns of the Theatre Royal and Empire Theatres in Wigan.
The Royal Court Theatre opened on the 22nd of November 1886, and was to gain the reputation of being one of the most attractive playhouses in the provinces.
The greatly increased standard of Theatre building in the town was commented on in an article printed on the 20th November 1886, in the Wigan Observer who said: ‘The Eagle room behind the Royal Hotel ( formerly The Eagle and Child) some fifty years ago was a place of some importance, for there were held the assembly balls and there, too, the drama found gloomy asylum, though the audience was more select than numerous. Since then we have crept slowly forward, first with one wooden structure then with another, then with the diminutive Theatre Royal, until without any preliminary flourish we find ourselves face to face with the very elegant new Theatre in King Street’ – The Wigan Observer.
Source: Arthur Lloyd
Theatre, subsequently cinema, and more recently a night club, in 2021 undergoing renovation.
More information and history:-
A comprehensive history of the Royal Court Theatre by Arthur Lloyd - Link
Images from wiganworld - Link
More historical information from cinematreasures - Link
2021 - Work being undertaken to bring back into full use via various grants.