Buildings of Interest

Home > Buildings of Interest
  • Church of St Mark
Grade II

Church of St Mark

Victoria Street, Wigan

Listed Date: 11/07/1983
Part of Group: No
At Risk: No
Historic England Ref: 318 (Link)

Description

Church. 1891-2. By Heaton and Ralph of Wigan

St. Mark’s Church, Newtown was consecrated on St. Mark’s day, April 25th 1891, following the laying of the foundation stone in 1890 by Meyrick Bankes of Winstanley Hall. Newtown’s first vicar was the Rev J. Hunt Newberry, who remained at St Mark’s until 1910, and the church was built in phases:-

1901 Chancel, Vestries and organ chamber added

1912 Dedication of the Church Organ

1925 New Vicarage completed

1927 Reredos and Tower added

Information provided by Michael Arden Mason