Church of St John the Divine
Church Street, Pemberton
Part of Group: Yes 1 Oth
At Risk: No
Historic England Ref: 236 (Link)
Church. 1830-32, by Rickman and Hutchinson (dated 1832 at west end).
The Church of St John, Pemberton, is known as a "Waterloo" church and was built in 1832 by Rickman and Hutchinson at a cost of about £5,000. Money was provided by the Government as a thanksgiving following the Battle of Waterloo. The Parish was created in 1838 from Wigan Parish.
The church of St. John, Pemberton, was consecrated on 26th September 1832,as a chapel of ease to the parish church of Wigan, with a burial ground attached to it.
The church was built after designs by Mr. Rickman of Birmingham, and is remarkable for its great width of span, as a single nave without side aisles, being built to accommodate 1,586 persons, including 1,038 free seats appropriated to the use of the poor.