Church of St Michael & All Angels
Swinley Road, Wigan
Part of Group: No
At Risk: No
Historic England Ref: 313 (Link)
Images by Caroline Heaven
The style of the church is early English. The architect was G. E. Street (1824-1881) a leading Victorian church architect. His best-known building is the Royal Courts of Justice in The Strand, London.
The church was not fully complete until 1885, when the south aisle and lady chapel were added, together with porch and baptistry.
G.E.Street did other work in Wigan, including Wigan Hall and Gatehouse (1875-76), New Market Street, for the Rector of Wigan as well as an extension to the Bluecoat School, Hallgate (now demolished). Street also designed the St. Michael's day school (1867) in nearby Earl Street. This closed in 1978 and is now demolished. The school was used as a place of worship for Swinley from 1867 until the church was built.
The present church was consecrated by the Bishop of Chester on 25th April 1878. At first, the church was a "chapel of ease" to the Wigan Parish Church, only in 1881 did St. Michel's become a parish.