School Lane, Standish,, Standish
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
Building or part of showing on pre 1890 map
A substantial building set back from a main vehicular roure but highly visual.
Red brick with ornate stone cills and arched bay windows and entrance.
Information provided by Jim Meehan
The Beeches was built in the late 1800s and was the family home of the Almond family who ran the brewery and chain of pubs. It became Woodlands III, a military hospital during WW1. It later became a hotel and restaurant. It was converted into Albert’s restaurant in 2018.
J.B. Almond, a local brewer and philanthropist (Almond's Ales).
Information provided by Rev David Long
The house was an Auxiliary Red Cross Hospital in the Great War, from Autumn 1914 to March 1919. Known as Woodlands No. 3, the Commandant of its Voluntary Aid Detachment, no.96, was Miss EM Brown, of Mere Oaks. Miss Beatrice Hewlett, its Quartermaster, was awarded the MBE in 1920.
Additional in-depth information on the building, brewery and the Almond family.