Standish Pillar War Memorial
Junction of High St and Church St, Standish
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
Historic England Ref: 1426126 (Link)
Image by Jim Meehan
At the conclusion of the Great War, the Standish Urban District Council appointed a War Memorial Committee to consider a permanent memorial to the fallen, and this was unveiled by Councillor Henry Fairhurst on 17th April 1920, on the land between the Globe and the Victoria Jubilee Fountain. The memorial itself is unusual in that it dates the First World War as ending in 1919 (when the treaty was signed) rather than the more usual 1918 (when hostilities ceased). The perimeter, with iron railings atop, was erected, and the gardens have evolved over the years.