Shakespeare Hotel & Theatre Royal
King Street, Wigan, Wigan
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
The Shakespeare Hotel was originally the Theatre Royal closed as a theatre when the Hippodrome was built in 1904. The Theatre Royal opened in 1850 behind a private house owned by a Mr Morris, this was demolished when the theatre was remodeled by Mr. H J Worswick in 1890. In 1904 what was once the facade of the theatre was retained as the front of The Shakespeare Hotel.
Link to ArthurLloyd description of Theatre Royal - View
The Shakespeare Hotel was purchased, by Magee Marshall, at auction in 1894 as part of the disposal of the Wigan Brewery company assets.
At the time of disposal the building was tenated by Mr. J. Worswick and the property was sectioned, one for the Shakespeare, the other part was dressing rooms for the adjacent Hippodrome Theatre.
Part of the King Street "Lost Buildings" project - Link