Church of Holy Family
24 Cale Lane, New Springs, Wigan, WN2!HA, Wigan
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
Built in the late 1950s, and of limited architectural interest. Together with the earlier church/school, which is now used as a parish hall, it occupies a large site, and serves a small but loyal community of worshippers.
A new mission was begun at New Springs from Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, Haigh (qv) in 1898. A church/school was built in 1900, and the presbytery followed a few years later. The new church was begun in 1958 and was consecrated in October 1959, after which the original building was converted to a parish hall. The cost of the new church was £15,000 and the furnishings an additional £8,000.
The church is now served from Our Lady’s, Haigh (qv). The presbytery was sold in 2010.
The church was built in 1958-59 to the deigns of architect Richard Byrom It is a rectangular box with a shallow sanctuary and a broad west tower with a hipped roof. The walls are of brick and the roofs are a mix of slate and asphalt. The windows, which are vertical in proportion, are of timber with upvc opening lights.
The plastered interior is divided by brick pilaster strips, which encase the steel columns that support the roof trusses. These are concealed by a flat ceiling. The shallow sanctuary and side chapels are side lit. The white marble high altar with a mosaic of the Last Supper has been moved forward and the original altar rails have been removed. A carved wooden statue of the Holy Family is located above the tabernacle on the east wall. At the west end is a narthex with a gallery above. The baptistery has been converted as a chapel to St Anthony and the font moved to the sanctuary.
Source: Taking Stock