Bryn St. Peter's School
Downall Green Road, Ashton, WN4 0DL, Ashton
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
Bryn St. Peter's C.E. School was established in 1875 as a mission school of Holy Trinity Church, Downall Green. The school and church grew so quickly that a separate parish soon formed. The original building was finally demolished in the summer of 1997 to make way for the new block.
Wigan Local Studies has a 1976 pamphlet entitled “Parish of St Peter, Bryn: Formal Opening Programme”, ref. Upper W282 G76
The school occupies part of the Park Lane Unitarian Chapel's “Parsonage Estate”, leased for the purpose in 1859 by John Mercer - see Wigan Archives ref. D/NU 1/ 4/76 “Copy of the Charity Commissioners' instrument by which the chapel trustees granted a lease to Mr. Mercer, with a sketch plan of the estate enclosed”.
Text and images provided by the Makerfield Rambler