Whelley, Wigan, WN1 3UP, Wigan
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
PLANTATION GATES, WHELLEY
On June 4th, 1873, the Wigan Infirmary was opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales. They were guests of the Earl of Crawford & Balcarres at Haigh Hall.
Discussions for the new infirmary commenced in 1866 to replace the Dispensary in King Street.
Once the funding for the Infirmary was in place, the attention turned to who would officially open the building. In the late 1860’s it was the intention to invite the Prince of Wales.
It is worth contemplating whether the Earl of Crawford designed and built a new road to the Hall and a Lodge from Whelley to co-incide with the visit by the Royals, as plans were drawn up in 1869.
The official opening procession from the Hall to the Infirmary started at the Plantation Gates, Whelley. It was a great scene of joy and celebration as reported in the Wigan Observer.
It’s wonderful that the building associated with this momentous occasion still exists in great condition.
Comprehensive newspaper cutting references to the Infirmary from 1866-1873 are available at the following LINK