Ince Cemetery Chapel 60m SW of Lodge
Warrington Road, Ince
Part of Group: Yes 3 Oth
At Risk: Yes
Historic England Ref: 181 (Link)
Cemetery chapel. 1855-7. By A. Waterhouse. Alfred Waterhouse (1830–1905) was a prolific English architect who worked in the second half of the 19th century. His buildings were largely in Victorian Gothic Revival style. Waterhouse's biographer, Colin Cunningham, states that between about 1865 and about 1885 he was "the most widely employed British architect". He worked in many fields, designing commercial, public, educational, domestic, and ecclesiastical buildings.
The land for the cemetery was purchased from John Walmesley and formed part of the Ince Hall Estate for £305 per acre. The township of Ince in 1855 had 3,454 Protestants, 731 Roman Catholics and 632 Dissenters, The Burial Board allocated two-thirds of the land to Protestants and one-third to Roman Catholics and Dissenters.
The Protestant Chapel was erected to accommodate 60 persons, the other chapel for Roman Catholics and Dissenters was divided by an interior wall, each division accommodated 30 persons.
Alfred Waterhouse was selected as the architect, and James Fairclough of Wigan for the erection of the chapels, lodge, and entrance gates.
Protestant Chapel £385, Roman Catholic & Dissenters Chapel £454, Lodge and Entrance Gates £447, Boundary Wall & fencing £400, Land and conveyancing expenses £1,150, Architect fees £300, Clerk of Works, etc £300, Clerk Salary & incidentals £125, Painting & furnishing for chapels and lodge £180, Contingencies £30.
Total costs £4,000