Former Nat West Bank now Public House
1 - 3 King Street, Wigan
Part of Group: No
At Risk: No
Historic England Ref: 959 (Link)
Former Bank, now public house. 1866, with later additions to rear. Designed by Walters, Barker and Ellis of Manchester.
Purpose built for the Manchester and Liverpool District bank (1829 to 1969) designed in 1866 by the short lived Manchester based architectural practice of Walters, Barker & Essex. The building served as a bank and was rebadged as a branch of the National Westminster Bank in 1970 following a series of amalgamations.
Original Plans & Changes - LINK
The 1848 map shows a Post office on Wallgate and according to the press cutting Alker’s shop was positioned on the corner of King Street and Wallgate adjoining the original Bank Building on King Street.
Since the National Westminster disposed of the bank it has been used as licensed premises including the ‘ Reflex” 80’s club and latterly ‘pop world’. It is currently in the Stonegate Group (register in Cayman Islands) portfolio. The group also includes Walkabout which had other premises on 56 King St (Court Ballroom).
1871 Census William McClure - Bankers Clerk, John Dunlop (a visitor) and Servant Mary Jones.
Grace McClure had been a Housekeeper to the previous Manager ( James Mitchell) who appears in the 1851 and 1861 census residing at 7 King Street.
1881 William McClure is described as an Accountant and the Manager is identified as Charles B Fernihough who remained as manager till at least 1903
1905 Harltey Joseph Pickup is the Accountant, 1910 the manager is Henry T. Byrom
Potentially some connection with the Byrom’s Commercial College which was established in 1914 and based at 19 King Street (Newsham Chambers?)
Part of the King Street Action Zone - LINK