Primitive Methodist Church
Lowton Road, Golborne, , Golborne
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
Images by Caroline Heaven
Typical example of a Methodist place of worship. The building is on the corner of Windsor Road and is visually dominant.
The first chapel on Lowton Rd -then called Factory Lane- was completed in 1869. In 1900 the original building was extended forwards and the visually impressive “Primitive Methodist” façade was added. Internal redecoration -including inscription of the “How amiable are thy tabernacles O Lord of Hosts” motto on the internal arch- was undertaken in 1911. In 1918, owner Mrs P Bridge agreed to sell the freehold to the chapel trustees for £50. Having survived the threat of closure several times in the 1970s and 80s, a final service was held in the chapel on 5 August 2007. It is now used by the People First Support service. An illustrated history by Alan Nixon can be accessed via http://laneheadmethodistchurch.yolasite.com/publications.php.
Records covering the period 1892-1979 are at St Helens Local History Library & Archives, ref. CAM/1/2. The marriage registers for 1934-2005 are at Wigan Archives, ref. 2008/38”.
Text by the Makerfield Rambler