Boundary Stone in Elnup Wood near Mill Dam Cottages
Parkbrook Lane, Standish
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
A boundary stone dated 1806 to mark the boundary between land owned by “ETS” Edward Towneley Standish and “TDH” Thomas Dalrymple Hesketh. Edward Towneley Standish was the Lord of Standish Manor from 1778 to 1807. Sir Thomas Dalrymple Hesketh was the 3rd Baronet Hesketh of Rufford from 1796 to 1842 and owned land in Shevington. The stone marked the boundary between their land and in effect between Standish with Langtree and Shevington. The stone was found in Mill Brook before being moved to its current location.
Sources: Victoria County History of Lancaster, 1911. TC Porteus, A History of the Parish of Standish, 1927
Photographs and information provided by Jim Meehan