Summersales, near Merton Road, Pemberton
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
This is a line drawing by Arthur Turner of Sumner's Hall in the Summersales. Mr. Turner used to live in the hall.
It was a stone building near today's Merton Road, behind Highfield View in Pemberton. The earliest mention of it was in 1466. In recent times it was occupied by three families, in 1954 by the Richardsons, Winstanleys and Derbyshires. Donald Anderson's grandfather used to live in the middle one. Summersales Colliery was built in front of the hall during WWII. The hall was demolished in 1954.
The tithe map of 1841 shows that it was occupied by William Starkey and colleagues. Mr. Starkey was related to Eleanor Starkey from Cheshire who at the age of 10 married Meyrick Bankes of Winstanley Hall.
Mr. Starkey looked after the horses and stables at the Hall, including Pony Dick, and became landlord of the Horse and Jockey pub, which in turn became Pony Dick Inn.
Derek Winstanley 2021