Buildings of Interest

Home > Buildings of Interest
  • Marsh Farm
  • Marsh Farm
  • Marsh Farm
Grade U

Marsh Farm

500, Newton Road, Lowton, WA3 1PH, Golborne

Listed Date: 00/00/0000
Part of Group:
At Risk: No

Description

A date-stone on the front of the farmhouse reads “1703”, but this is apt to be misleading as Herbert Worsley explains in his book “The Dwindling Furrows of Lowton” (1988):

“When Marsh House was built [around 1900] it replaced the old Cross Keys Farm, the date stone of 1703 [from the earlier building] is preserved in the new building.

 It was bought by solicitor Rigby and given to his daughter, Mrs Barlow, as a wedding present...”. Cross Keys Farm is reputed to have served also as an inn. The next building along Newton Road to the east was originally part of the same property.”   

Text and images by the Makerfield Rambler

See Also

Unlisted
Hare & Hounds
Unlisted
Congregational School