86 86-88, Standishgate, Wigan
Part of Group: No
At Risk: No
Historic England Ref: 293 (Link)
House, now public house and restaurant. Probably late C17, enlarged and greatly altered.
The Whitesmith’s Arms at 86-88 is listed at grade II. Dating from around 1600-1650, it is the oldest Burgage building in Wigan, indeed one of the oldest properties in Wigan town centre. The building is constructed of handmade brick and is of two and a half storeys with four first floor windows and three pitch gables projecting from the roof to the front elevation. It has raised cruck framing at first floor and wattle and daub partitions that provide vital clues to the date of the building.