Church of St.William
Ince Green Lane, Higher Ince., Ince
Part of Group:
At Risk: No
The mission was established in 1873 in the "Tin Chapel" further down Ince Green Lane, on the opposite side to the present church. It was built in 1908 from designs by Matthew Honan.. Honan’s drawings survive in the diocesan archives. A note on one of them states that the church was designed to seat 500 and that the estimated contract cost was £3,115.
Red brick church (diapered on the west front) in lancet Gothic style, under a slate roof. The entrance is in the main west front, above which are triple stepped lancets and a bellcote. At the southwest corner a polygonal stair turret, giving access to a western choir gallery. The two western bays of the nave are aisles, and have paired window openings in each bay, the bays marked by stepped buttresses. The three eastern bays of the nave are aisled, with a single storey outer ‘aisle’ originally containing confessionals, a corridor and WC. Sanctuary with the usual flanking chapels, sacristies etc behind. Interior not inspected. Early photographs show a wide nave with an arch braced roof, and arcading to the aisles carried on polygonal piers.
Source: Taking Stock.
2021 - Currently closed and unoccupied. Initiative to renovate and convert to community use:-